15 November 2007

Our Unsustainable Immigration

They say a picture speaks a thousand words...Total International Migration To/From UK 1997-2006 [Credit: BBC]Two thirds of arrivals come from outside the EU and more than half of those leaving are British. Since 1997, there has been a net inflow of 2,337,000 foreign nationals and a net outflow of 715,000 Britons.

Coming on top of news earlier this month that 1.1 million of the 2.7 million jobs created in the past decade were taken by immigrants and news last month that one in seven prisoners come from overseas, it is little wonder that social cohesion has become such a hot issue.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trying to explain to my children that when I grew up in the 70s there was scarcely a non-white face to be seen in the town (I recall 2 Indian children and one Afro-Caribbean throughout all my school years) and just how much the country has changed culturally is an almost impossible task. Sometimes when I am walking down a London street surrounded by people of a multitude of races, speaking a variety of languages I feel like the last Englishman left alive, a stranger in my own land. I don't think that I am wrong, or alone, in feeling this. The pace of cultural change is too fast and too uncontrolled.