28% of elderly people say their lives have got worse in the last year and 93% say their lives have not improved, according to a landmark report from Help the Aged, in which the charity calls for:
- a clear commitment to ending pensioner poverty;
- a new Government strategy of paying benefits automatically to older people on the basis of information it already holds on them;
- public bodies to promote age equality in the same way they promote race, disability and gender equality;
- a ban on age discrimination, extending beyond the workplace, in the forthcoming Single Equalities Bill;
- a greater focus on health, more opportunities for activity and employment and better planning for the future.
Perhaps I should have titled this post NuLabour's Twilight Years?